Monday, January 30, 2006

Grateful Dead on My Head

I was looking at my long skinny drawing again and trying to figure out from whence it came. It's not Mouse & Kelley (although they did influence my art), but Rick Griffin. I was looking at one of his books, which I think I got way back in college, and I see the skull and roots (wish I'd looked at this before I finished the drawing...I really like his skull...OK, maybe I'm glad I didn't look at it before). This is a detail from one of his Grateful Dead posters.



I was a little paranoid about copyright, but I found the whole thing online here:
http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/aor2.24.jpg

or at least another version of it (it shows up in more than one place). And then I saw THIS one (ooh aah) and about 14 new ideas popped into my full little brain.

http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/aor314.jpg

Sigh. There are not enough hours in the day. Or night. What I really need to do is start drawing for the next Husqvarna show. And THIS year, I'm going to make sure I read the correct theme...so I don't mess that up like last time. But I don't ever draw things in squares. Except for Husqvarna.

1 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Elle said...

Yes! I can see the influence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network