Sunday, January 22, 2006

Long Skinny Drawing

I started this drawing this morning (this is just a small part of it). It begs to be really really long and skinny, so I'm dragging the kidlets out to Kinko's today to copy the bottom of the drawing so I can continue drawing the legs on the next page. It has no name yet. I'm going to try to keep more quilts in progress during the school year in 2006. It's hard to do, because school sucks up so much of my brain, but I don't feel like I made enough quilts last year. There are bits and pieces I can work on more at scouts and soccer and meetings. Anyway, ask me how I feel about that in 3 months' time...



All my quilts start out as line drawings on 14x17" paper, then get blown up, numbered, traced onto Wonder Under, then ironed onto fabric, blah blah blah. For an average quilt, it's about 60-100 hours from drawing to finished quilt. One of my students (age 12) asked me last week, if I won the lottery, would I still teach? I said I would finish out the school year, but if it was enough money, I'd stay home and make art. I might volunteer in school or elsewhere. Anyway...it's not an option (in fact the lurking need for a second job has been looming over my head the last few months). If I'm lucky, this drawing will become a finished quilt sometime in April (can you say Spring Break???).

1 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

I love this. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network