Sunday, May 14, 2006

Instead of Flowers

Hey, I still want flowers. I guess I should say that up front. I didn't get any, and at first, that upset me. But I got something really cool instead. My daughter gave me some handmade cards and a sweet note about how I'm always nice (I am not!). My son made me some small yarn things (he has a yarn fetish) that all look like cat toys, but he also wrote me a poem. An amazing poem. His teacher told the kids to come up with 12 ideas about their mom, and then to start with the idea of "The Important Thing About a Mom..." and go with that. What a kid.

The important thing
About a mom is that
She has limitless hugs

She may have kisses
She might teach or
Stay up late

She will scold
You, but
She loves you just the same

She will die eventually
But go on in your heart
Until you die

But then you will go on
In your children's hearts
And she will reside with you

But the important thing
About a mom is that
She has limitless hugs


Understand that this kid hugs me lots, all the time, every day. He can't tell me he loves me (you're warm, mommy, is his version of I love you), his hugs border on body slams, and he's almost as tall as I am right now, but he wrote me a poem. Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network