Thursday, July 20, 2006

Promised Stuff

Pictures. Then commentary. Why? Because otherwise I'd be mowing the lawn.

Two parts of the Egyptian piece with embroidery. I'm doing the last rein on the camel, then need to decide how to border the whole thing. Not sure I can embroider with my finger damaged. Although I can TYPE with it. It hurts. It looks Frankensteinian.



And here is the first of my brother's T-shirt quilts. Looking at it now, 2 years later, it's kinda lame. But it does what it's supposed to do. Hopefully I'll finish the second one this summer, and then I'll only have 42 more T-shirts to use up before he dies. Seriously. They handed me more T-shirts while I was there.


Lots of art quilt bloggers are either shutting down their blogs, whether because they are getting nothing done or because they are wasting too much time on their blogs. Others are detailing how little they're getting done. Me too. It's not because I don't want to work on stuff; I just don't seem to be able to put away all the stuff outside my studio that needs doing. For some reason, it seems more important to mow the lawn than to back a quilt or iron a new quilt or pick fabrics for the next big piece. I don't really understand it, but it's done as of today. No really. I only really have the summer to get big stuff done. It's so hard during the school year to find blocks of time, and this year will be worse, because I'm picking up a subject that I'm absolutely hopeless at doing. Math and me, we are not best friends. And yet I use it all the time in quilting. Maybe I'll have the kids make quilt blocks...that's funny...12-year-old mostly boys making blocks. Certainly need to consider that carefully...mostly because I don't have a spare sewing machine and I can't afford to have mine stop working.

OK, so I'm not going to stop blogging (or reading blogs), even if some of my favorite bloggers are stepping down. I'm going to be inspired by the fact the full-time quilters are getting less done than I do (that's a little evil, but if it gets me through the day, I can't complain). AND, I'm ordering the Nancy Crow book...not because I want to make quilts like her, because I am the Anti-Abstract, but because it's inspiration. So there. Caution to the wind.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Karoda said...

anti-abstract!? i'm picking myself up from the floor :)

i like pictorial quilts...and even have made a few but i just don't do them well.

i must not have enough angst about blogging or my lack of production in art making...i just do what i do and keep on rolling. :)

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

And that's healthy :-). I did actually mow the lawn...but I ALSO made art. Good girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network