Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Long Skinny Batting and Anger Management

I think those two things are related...I don't know about you...

My daughter reminded me last night that I had told her to remind me that I was supposed to make long skinny quilts for a while to use up all those long skinny pieces of batting that are taking over my house because I can't bear to throw them out and I don't like piecing batting even though mom tells me it works fine but I just don't believe her. I personally think (and my cat Juniper agrees) that long skinny pieces of batting are supposed to be cat beds. Just pile them up and let the sleeping begin.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to teach a lesson on Anger Management. That ought to be interesting. The kids are supposed to draw what they look like when they're angry. I'll try to get permission from a couple of them to photograph those...I love kid drawings. They are wondrous...if you get them before someone tells them they're doing it wrong. I can look back at my old drawings and tell you EXACTLY when someone (not a family member) told me I was doing it wrong. 10 years old. And I didn't figure it out again until I was 19 or 20. I still drew all that time...it was just very hard and I spent more time trying to draw what other people wanted (or what I thought they wanted) than drawing what was in my head. I'm so much happier about drawing now. It's so much easier. Now all I need is the TIME to draw.

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

I try to cut up the long skinny pieces right away into things like postcard size pieces, or potholder size etc. depends on how wide the piece is. But once it's cut up it doesn't seem to be so silly to keep and it's a lot easier to store without cat hair, LOL.

And of course you need a 12-18" hunk of that long skinny piece to make your warm up piece for quilting with a few scraps of your quilt fabrics.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

Oh that's funny...a warm up piece! Yeah, my mom told me about those too :-). My kids actually play with the long pieces sometimes...they use them for anything from headbands to belts to cat toys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network