Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heat Exhaustion

This is crazy. It was 111 degrees yesterday. I can't even think straight, let alone get a quilt done. It's frustrating, because I only have 4 weeks until school starts and takes over my life again.

I did seriously consider sleeping all day and then getting up to make art from 9 PM to 5 AM. Small problem of my children, and the fact that it's too hot to sleep, and that I have to spend all this week in teacher classes (but they will be AIR-CONDITIONED). Pros and cons.

It's supposed to be hot as hell again today. I want George Bush to sit in my living room today at 2 PM and TELL me there's no global warming. San Diego is going for record of hot days in a row...hottest July in history...and August is usually our hot month. Yikes.

I went to the movies yesterday (air-conditioning) and saw A Scanner Darkly (http://wip.warnerbros.com/ascannerdarkly/). It's animated, but from real-live film, so it has this weird, disturbing, almost-real-but-not-quite quality that I found really distracting. It was OK story-wise, not great, but the movement of the colors on the animation was so distracting that I had a hard time even paying attention to the story. A time when being Visual is not a plus...and that's weird, because I draw in a way that looks a lot like what they do here, with different parts of the face delineated in different colors, like a screenprinter (gee, which is what I used to be), but when it's MOVING all the damn time, you just can't stop staring at it. And I was totally distracted by the black lines around the mouths.



Then again, the movie's about a bunch of drug addicts...maybe I'm supposed to feel all unsettled and disturbed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network