Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Make Art, Not Schoolwork

OK, so the last two days, what I should have been doing is preparing for the new school year, driving up to school and getting my room ready, devising amazing lesson plans with the two new curricula I'm getting (but don't actually have yet), or researching intriguing methods of teaching Darwin on the web. But I didn't do any of those things. Instead, I finished the binding on the last quilt and ironed a new one whose pieces had been sitting around since April. It went really quickly, one day. I took a picture of the head in progress. Nice leafy neck.



I also took a picture of the whole thing ironed, but it was really blurry and horrible, so you'll have to wait until I have another chance to photograph it. I feel good about getting it done. School can't be my life. I mean, it CAN, but I won't let it.

The dogs are now fighting over toys. Growling and snapping and aargh. Exhausting.



Tonight, I could worry about the math curriculum, I could schedule the science curriculum, I could really worry about my class sizes (37+ kids in a classroom that seats 28), or I could quilt.

3 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Keep doing the quilting. It is what keeps me sane, knowing someone out there is throwing off the chains of teacherhood to have a life.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

Well, that's because I haven't actually started school yet, and I don't have my curriculum either, so how could I possibly be throwing off the chains! Give it a week and I'll be buried like you...

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Karoda said...

kudos to you for teaching, but i do hope you're able to etch some art making time out on a regular basis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network