Sunday, August 20, 2006

Three Hours and Counting

Actually, three hours of just quilting the background. I think it took another three or four to do the line quilting in the darker color. But I'm done. And that's a good thing.

This picture of wrinkled paper intrigues me. I'm not really an abstract artist, but I keep taking weird abstract pictures for ideas. I'm also not really a landscape artist (I didn't draw those Southwest blocks), but I keep taking landscape pictures too. I guess you can't really take pictures of the stuff I make into art.



Yesterday, I had to go to three sewing stores to find this thread. My extremely local quilt store has a not-great selection of rayon thread and this background is a weird gray blue color, so nothing matched. I went there yesterday on the way to my daughter's soccer game. Then I went to a JoAnn's that I normally don't go to, because it was near the Birkenstock store, and I needed new shoes for school. That JoAnn's obviously caters to a different clientele, because they had a totally strange collection of thread, none of which was appropriate. So I gave up and made my driver (yeah, right) head north on the freeway to the other JoAnn's, where I found the right color in 3 seconds flat, and then in true JoAnn's fashion, spent an inordinate amount of time waiting in line to pay for it as some woman argued over the sale flyer and what was in her basket with the clerk. I hate that place. It is a necessary evil, I guess.

I bought three spools. I usually only buy one, but this is a big quilt, so I figured I would need two, and then I thought I'd ran out on the last big quilt, so I bought three. Don't question my logic. I did of course forget to buy any for the next pinned quilt, which was really dumb, because now I'll have to go back tomorrow. Sigh.



I have two days before I have to be at school. I don't have enough helpful information to feel prepared to start teaching again. Know that I do not wish to be a principal or a superintendent, but I do know that there are ways to deal with staff effectively, and I have yet to have a principal who seems to understand that. Maybe it is my years in the corporate and freelance world, where bad behavior tends to get you fired or to have all your employees quit.

Then I took this picture of some window film back in May 2005. Another weird abstract that intrigues me. Maybe I should use them as backgrounds.



Tomorrow, I will do some hand embroidery and maybe some inking on the quilt. I will probably have to go buy binding fabric, unless miraculously I have something appropriate in my stash in enough yardage. It seems unlikely. The kids have their first day of school. I feel their pain.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Your driver didn't even known he was being made to drive anywhere. You are sneaky.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I love the interesting textures you've captured in your pictures. you're right, they WOULD make wonderful backgrounds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network