Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Summer is Short

It hasn't even started yet, and it's getting shorter every day. I was accepted into the leadership program I applied for...good news is more money and resources for my classroom, bad news is I lose a week of summer quiltmaking. Oh well. I'll just have to be THAT MUCH MORE efficient. Sigh.

If I get to the end of the summer and I haven't finished a single quilt, yell at me.

From what I remember, this is a really bad digital picture of the quilt above my bed. It was done in a Joan Colvin class (go on...tell me how derivative it is) many years ago. I like it, but I think I need new art above my bed, and I have many quilts here that have not seen the light of day for a while. So...A Study in Flesh will be retired for a while.

There was no drawing for this...I freehand cut the whole thing. Seems insane, and explains why her boobs are making a run for her neck...or her neck has simply disappeared...and don't even let me get into the whole headcovering thing. Sigh.

5 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Karoda said...

I'm not a Joan Colvin expert but it doesn't look derivative to me. It reminds me of a Buddha figure.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

A friend of mine says that the reason I think the boobs are too high is because I am old and have nursed a few babies, and mine are no longer PERKY, so it looks weird to me :-). Certainly a possibility!

It was sarcasm on the Colvin comment. I do thank her for clueing me in to freehand cutting and how to stitch stuff down by machine...this was my first real art quilt, I think. It's been in about a million shows, too.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I am thinking maybe that is where boobs are suposted to be?

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

and we've forgotten? How lame is that.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

This is a comment from Cindy, who is also having problems leaving comments...don't know what Blogger's problem is, but I apologize for those stymied by the process...

Cindy says "I think that they are there because they are an ornament, like those big, circular, projecting pieces that are worn around the necks of tribal women. If the shoulders are worked backward and forward, the ornament will move up and down.""

I like that...now I wish I'd MADE it that way, so I could pull them down further now, when I'm feeling all old and saggy. I did draw a female the other day who did have saggy boobs, as interpreted by teenager boys in my class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Network